Step 2: Attend a two-part orientation. Orientation Part 1 is a general overview of our program focusing mainly on opportunities available at the Detroit Zoo. Part 2 is an overview of the Zoo’s educational mission, volunteer policies and procedures and information on emergency preparedness. Part 1 and 2 are mandatory and must be completed in sequence. You will also have the opportunity to sign up for an individual interview with a Volunteer Services staff member.
Step 3: Complete an interview. These 20-minute interviews help us in finding a good match between your interests and availability and our needs. You will also complete paperwork for a criminal background check at this time.
- Australian Outback Adventure “Mob Squad”
- Gallery Guide
- Special Events
- Zoo Ambassador
- Arctic Ring of Life Guest Assistant
- Staff Aide
- Belle Isle Nature Zoo “BINZ Brigade"
- Counselor-in-Training Program
The minimum age to volunteer is 18 and volunteers do not come in direct contact with animal residents. Some volunteer positions are seasonal; others are year-round.
- Click here for the Volunteer Application (PDF)
- Click here for Counselor-in-Training Application (PDF)