Admission prices are reduced to $5 for all guests after 5 p.m. on Wednesdays in July and August; members are admitted free. The Zoo remains open until 8 p.m.
Wild Summer Nights features a variety of live music from local bands, including children's, folk, rock, Motown and R&B. Guests are welcome to bring blankets, lawn chairs and picnic baskets. Food, snacks, beer, wine and soft drinks are available for purchase from Zoo concessions.
• July 4 – Gia Warner Band (rock classics)
• July 11 – Grievous Angel (Americana)
• July 18 – The Verve Pipe (children's)
• July 25 – Joe Reilly (children's)
• Aug. 1 – Candy Band (children's)
• Aug. 8 – Jill Jack (folk)
• Aug. 15 – Gemini (children's)
• Aug. 22 – The Sun Messengers (Motown and R&B)
• Aug. 29 – Playdate and Friends (children's)
While Zoo visitors are getting their late-day dose of "Vitamin Z", the animals will receive enrichment as well at 6 and 7 p.m. Offered daily at the Detroit Zoo, environmental enrichment enhances animal habitats to make them more dynamic and engaging. It includes the introduction of novel and sometimes unpredictable elements such as objects, sounds, scents or other stimuli that give the animals the opportunity to express choice and control in their environments and to make decisions, express individuality and behave in species-typical ways.